1. Read: Discussion Background
Our textbook defines operating systems as “a set of programs that coordinates all the activities among computer or mobile device hardware. It provides a means for users to communicate with the computer or mobile device and other software.” There are many different operating systems that you might encounter while working in the healthcare industry. Different types of computers, tablets, and phones use different operating systems for their hardware. It is important to understand different operating systems so that you can understand which programs can be used on the computer, tablet, or phone. Let’s take this opportunity to get to know your own operating system while learning about operating system features.
Use your textbook to find information on one of the major functions of operating systems: starting and shutting down devices, providing a user interface, file management, configuring devices, and establishing an Internet connection.
2. Initial Post: Create a new thread and answer all three parts of the initial prompt below
- Share with the class which operating system you are using on your device. For a laptop or computer, you may reference the directions here or for your mobile device, click here.
- Describe your current comfort level with your computer.
- Share something you learned from your textbook about the functions of operating systems.