Write a 2-page commentary on “The Transcendentalist” by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Choose a few paragraphs to a page or two centered around one idea to explore in depth.
Your commentary should have:
- A short summary of the central argument: What point is Emerson trying to make? Why is he trying to make it? Make sure to situate the paragraphs you choose within the larger structure of the work or Emerson’s thought as a whole.
- Detailed study of the text: Explain why you think the passage is important and what you think Emerson is up to. What does the passage mean to you? Is it important because it is a good argument that convinces you? Perhaps you’ve found a flaw in Emerson’s logic that you think undermines the entire piece. Explain why you think he chose the particular words and ideas that he placed into said passage? What are the implications of his ideas and words? Put yourself into this part of the commentary.
- Conclusion: Briefly summarize your findings. Say something about the text now that wasn’t clear when you started? What is the importance of the section you chose for the chapter as a whole?
- The paper must be in Microsoft Word format. This makes it easy for me to check to see if you’ve followed the style guide and to make comments you can read.
- The paper/contents of your paper will be between two pages in length. Do not go over two pages.
- Style Guide:
Please see attachments for example commentaries and the book/reading.